The Facebook Marketplace feature is yet another offering from Facebook. This feature enables Facebook users to buy and also sell stuff from within the Facebook site, requiring no use of a third party app whatsoever. To top it all up, Facebook offers this service for free, so users do not have to pay any commissions.
However, it’s got a catch – there is always a catch. The service is available in only a few selected countries for now, so only users from these countries can take advantage of it. Also, users have to be up to the age of 18 years to be allowed to use it. Nevertheless, some hacks to bypass these and get to use the service in spite of one’s ineligibility will be presented during the course of this post. Keep reading to learn about them.
How to Get the Marketplace feature on Facebook
Normally, all users who meet the criteria for using the service have it baked in already into their Facebook app. The service is not an app to be downloaded. But for users who don’t, do either one or both of the following:
- If you meet the age criterion but not the country, change your country to one of those which support the service. These countries include the US, UK,Germany, France, Spain, Mexico, India etc.
- If you meet the country criterion but not the age, change your birth date to make it seem as though you’re up to or above 18 years.
- If you don’t meet any of the criteria, you can go ahead and execute the steps above.
- Log out of your account and log back in to refresh things.
The Marketplace feature will be automatically added to your account once you’ve finished readjusting things to become eligible to use it.
How to Access the Facebook Marketplace
- Log into your Facebook account.
- Click on the shop-front like icon on the top of the home page.
- This will take you right into the Marketplace.
What you do next is determined if you’re planning on making sales or rather buying items…
How to Sell Items on the Marketplace
- After accessing the Marketplace, click on the “Sell” option.
- Add good, clear photos of the item you want to sell.
- Add a title for the item and give its concise description.
- Enter your location.
- Put a price on the item and finally, post it for sale.
This doesn’t mean the item has been sold, mind you. It’s simply been put on display so prospective buyers can browse through and get in touch with you to find out how to get it if interested.
How to Buy Items on the Marketplace
- After accessing the Marketplace, make use of the “Search” option.
- Enter the name of whatever item you want to buy. If available for sale, an array of the items from different sellers will be displayed.
- Browse through to find one you’re comfortable with.
- Click on the item itself to get in touch with the seller.
- Leave a message for the seller to indicate your interest in acquiring their item. They’ll most likely get back to you.